Holocaust Museums across Australia united in 2021 to present a moving and memorable commemoration for International Holocaust Remembrance Day. This virtual event was the first-ever Australia-wide commemoration of International Holocaust Remembrance Day on 27 January. It illuminated the ways we can all be a light for humanity in the darkness, through the inspiring words of Holocaust survivors and leaders in society.
- Prime Minister the Hon. Scott Morrison MP;
- The Hon. Josh Frydenberg MP; Senator
- The Hon. Penny Wong;
- The Hon. Justice Michael Kirby AC CMG;
- Holocaust Survivor Olga Horak OAM;
- Gideon Reisner, CEO of Stand Up; and
- Mr. John Gandel AC, Chair of Gandel Philanthropy and ambassador for universal Holocaust education in Australia.
They delivered inspiring messages which focus on remembrance of the Holocaust with a view to the current human rights landscape and hope for the future. The most powerful part of this event featured Holocaust survivors from NSW, SA, VIC, ACT, TAS, WA and QLD participating in a unique candle lighting ceremony to ensure that the memory of the 6 million murdered in the Holocaust, are never forgotten.
The Jewish Holocaust Centre Melbourne, Sydney Jewish Museum, Adelaide Holocaust Museum, Queensland Holocaust Museum, Holocaust Institute of WA and Australian Association of Jewish Holocaust Survivors & Descendants have joined forces to deliver this nationwide virtual event.